Manager, Software Engineering - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0007247
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll predominantly offer creative solutions to organizational design. You’ll also serve as a mentor for a team of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
As a Manager, Software Engineering within Research & Development working on an early stage product you will help decipher one of Riot’s next big bets. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager, overseeing a team of engineers on an early stage product. You will help shape the product and be accountable for all technical decisions related to your team’s focus area. In addition to leading the team, you will be hands-on in implementation.
- Manage a group of 4-7 software engineers, coaching them, holding them accountable to best practices and their growth plan
- Partner with discipline and product leadership to develop strategies for improving team health and effectiveness
- Be accountable for the technical health of product and taking an active part in its implementation
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration
- Mentor engineers in best practices for the current product phase
- Champion your sourcing and hiring processes to identify and hire engineers
- 5+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- 4+ years working in game development with contributions to at least 1 shipped title
- 2+ year(s) as a tech lead guiding the direction and implementation of game features
- Experience managing engineers and actively participating in their growth and development
- Experience recruiting candidates and growing an engineering team
- Experience participating in technical discussions such as technical design reviews and code reviews
- Experience with C++ or Golang
- Experience with game engines (ex. Unity, Unreal Engine)
- Experience with backend distributed systems
- Experience with the pre production, production, and post-production phases of game development
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $178,500.00 - $249,900.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.