Game Designer II Camera & Controls - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0007258
As a Game Designer II, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world. Working on an early stage product in R&D, you will help decipher one of Riot's next big bets.
As a Game Designer II on an in-development R&D game, you will collaborate with other team members, especially combat designers and animators, to help us make sure our first person camera feels excellent in all circumstances. You will ensure character movement feels responsive and decision-rich. You’ll assist with the lead combat designer on weapon feel from the camera side, as well as take more authority for the camera experience outside of moment-to-moment combat situations. You’ll serve as the point of contact for all of our teams needs for controls, guaranteeing that each feature space is well considered. You will report to the Design Manager on the team.
- Work with animators, our lead combat designer and design director to establish and implement design principles and techniques for building industry leading control and camera systems
- Evangelize on behalf of multiple FPS player audiences, ensuring that our camera and controls are approachable to a broad and diverse set of audiences from new to expert
- Participate in and guide technical design, documentation, and implementation
- Work collaboratively with engineering, animation, and other game designers to create great gameplay experiences
- Work with other leads and project leadership to align your vision of the game with theirs
- Build positive relationships with other design teams in shared areas across Riot
- Provide mentorship and expertise to help level up your peers and improve final products across all aspects of development
- Contribute to a warm, supportive, and growth-oriented team mindset
- 3+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- Experience working with cameras or controls in a AAA PvP FPS
- Robust understanding of game feel
- Broad enthusiasm for FPS games of all kinds
- An open minded and welcoming attitude of growth and curiosity
- Strong player insight into “lifestyle” live service games such as MMO, FPS, Competitive Multiplayer, ARPG, etc
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $102,000.00 - $143,200.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
- (Bellevue only) Base salary range between $102,000.00 - $143,200.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.