Technical Director, TW & SEA
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in
As a Technical Director, you'll own and focus on growing a world-class code base for Riot Games in the Taiwan & SEA regions, while helping our local engineering teams reach their own goals. A big game makes big demands on a big system, and the know-how and discerning standards you've racked up over years of experience will help identify emerging technologies and trends. From low-level systems to the highest level game mechanics, from automated testing solutions to the productivity of tools and pipelines, you'll hoist the excellence bar and hurtle it right along with your team.
As a Taipei Rioter, you’ll join a smaller team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our obsession with player experience, rejection of convention and passion for gaming. With teams in Player Support, Community, Publishing and Marketing, Riot Games Taipei is dedicated to creating unique player experiences that show Taiwan/Southeast Asia players they aren’t lost in translation.
- Educated and experienced: you earned at least a BS in Computer Science and designed, implemented and managed systems for mission critical, large-scale applications while maintaining baseline performance and load testing for capacity planning; you possess conceptual knowledge of "best-in-class" service-oriented architectures and a strong understanding of applied statistics and analytic algorithms
- Up to code: you could teach a master class on Java and C++, but your knowledge of NoSQL (e.g. Riak, Cassandra, Hadoop, Redis), HBase, MySQL, ReST services, JSON message data format and distributed/MMP database products has equal depth; you've used or know how to use Maven build and Chef deployment tools
- Data-informed: you were playing with data while the other kids were still playing with marbles, and you use the stats to help identify and mitigate risks, construct project schedules and prepare status reports; you use performance metrics and measurement techniques to assess performance for system-related services
- Agile-enabled: you have a strong understanding of Agile methodologies, especially Scrum and Kanban; you're pro with project management tools and software packages
- A mentor: your passion for personal and professional cultivation extends beyond yourself; you motivate your teammates and coach them to strive for their goals, helping them be the best version of themselves
- A thought meteorologist: you're always thinking ahead, forecasting potential problems and following developing technological trends.
- Build strategic road maps to align Riot technology with TW & SEA business and operational goals
- Work across a broad range of technological domains including operations, engineering, release and live services; build and grow successful, highly functional teams to design and implement core and regional solutions for TW & SEA game services
- Maintain world-class standards of service for TW & SEA while delegating core implementation to external parties and partners; develop relationships with regional partners to determine and prioritize technological needs
- Identify and develop tools, processes, and workflows that empower both Riot and Riot's partners to run a scalable, stable service able to absorb continual change with minimal disruption to players
- Define key performance indicators for both Riot and TW & SEA publishing partners
- Assist in recruiting and mentoring a team of engineers of all levels to deliver and continually expand a great platform for our players, while promoting a collaborative work environment and sharing technology with other architects at Riot
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.