Senior UX Designer - Unpublished R&D Game (In-Engine Focused)
Job Id: REQ-0007480
As a User Experience Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Senior User Experience Designer, you’ll be responsible for the design work in a high-scope product area that is complex and ambiguous. Your work will help shape the quality of game experiences in this early stage of a product’s life cycle. You’ll work from pre-production through production and collaborate with other designers to achieve your goals.
- Working on R&D teams to implement in-engine prototypes, build wireframes, or presentations that de-risk proof of concepts of production features.
- Delivering on a high quality user experience for functional in-engine prototypes
- Support high level design in developing systems such as control schemes, HUDs, and front end UI/UX flow.
- Communicating data-informed vision and design rationale to the team and stakeholders.
- Deliver appropriate level of design artifacts for the team (e.g. strategy articulation, discovery/research results, journey maps, flows, wireframes, mockups, and/or prototypes)
- Break down experiences thoughtfully for teams to be able to ship value incrementally (i.e., Minimum viable experience)
- Manage experiential quality and consistency across features end-to-end
- Work with engineers to design UI development tools in-engine
- 5+ years experience designing digital experiences, products, and platforms as a User Experience Designer or Interaction Designer
- Experience working in game engines implementing features from scratch
- Experience creating prototypes of varying degrees of fidelity
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch or other industry design and prototyping tools
- Working knowledge of early stage product development and incubation processes (e.g., Google Ventures Design Sprints)
- Willingness to iterate on ideas quickly, learn rapidly, and throw stuff away (i.e., Your ideas certainly will not ship any time soon; in some cases, may not ship at all)
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine tools
- Familiarity with Console/PC Experience is a plus
- Depth of programming abilities (e.g., Gameplay and UI vs. Game Logic) vs. prototyping
- Experience w/ C++, Unreal, OpenGL, etc.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $173,100.00 - $241,100.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
- (Bellevue only) Base salary range between $173,100.00 - $241,100.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.