Senior Game Designer, Gameplay Systems - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0007506
As a Game Designer, you design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. You will use your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity to help craft in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Gameplay Systems Designer on core gameplay on an unannounced R&D project, you will explore systematic solutions and drive core gameplay systems to a higher level of excellence. Your experience, player insight, and creativity will create in-game experiences that not only engage and delight players, but also ensure competitive integrity and a long term mastery journey.
- Explore and iterate on core gameplay mechanics to promote a high skill ceiling while ensuring reasonable accessibility for new players
- Assess the current state of the game continuously, and improve the game with system driven solutions
- Promote novel additions to gameplay experiences that give players more areas to master without negatively impacting moment-to-moment fun
- Drive gameplay designs that leverage team play while allowing players to shine individually
- Take gameplay systems from 90% to 100% through playtests, feedback, and iteration
- Evangelize for player accessibility and construct designs intended for all players
- Participate in design, documentation, and implementation in UE5 Blueprint
- Work collaboratively with engineering, art, and other game designers to create great gameplay experiences
- 5+ years of experience in professional game design experience, with at least 2 years owning or being a major contributor on core gameplay
- Clear understanding of gameplay mechanics and systems in action games
- Experience of feature ownership in high speed development with successes in managing tradeoffs between bold goals and shipping value to players
- Documentation of complex design structures and partnering with diverse teams members to provide those systems to players
- Experience designing and implementing in Unreal Engine
- Experience shipping Unreal Engine games
- Experience with 3rd person online multiplayer action games
- Experience working with physics driven or informed systems
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $140,100.00 - $195,700.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.