Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
As a SF Bay Area Rioter, you’ll join a team combining world-class talent with a deep-rooted love of gaming to discover and deliver fresh experiences for players. Our projects offer development challenges across the spectrum, presenting unique opportunities for best-in-spec engineers, artists, designers, and devs of all stripes. We think, act, and play like a startup -- so if you thrive on possibility, come on over, and we'll build something revolutionary together.
That's where you come in.
As Engineering Manager, you'll drive technical projects and provide leadership for a group of engineers in an innovative and fast paced environment for brand new games being developed in our new Bay Area office. You will be continually retrospecting and driving innovation within our software development process to ensure our engineers execute at the highest possible level. Your experience in servant leadership, humble confidence, and social grace will help you mentor teams as you partner with fellow leaders to foster an open, transparent development environment.
- Player-focused: you're a gamer whose passion for games (especially League of Legends) helps you stay focused on initiatives that make the difference to players in and out of the game
- A threat to convention: bored by what's considered traditional, you constantly push past limits until the status is no longer quo; you don't "think outside the box" because, hey, there's no box
- Focused on team: you find, shape, and cultivate teams that don't just swing for the fences, they jack that (metaphorical) baseball beyond the stars; you help Rioters develop the tools and creative atmosphere to shine, but ultimately hold them accountable for making smart calls and delivering player value
- Seriously playful: you work hard but always leave time for pentakills; whether you're grabbing a game of League in our onsite PC Bang or rapidly sharing cat GIFs, you make time for daily play in all of its wonderful forms
- Humbitious: you're ambitious but humble, a state of being summed up by fans of portmanteau as "humbitious;" always striving for continuous improvement, you never forgo rounds of feedback from teammates, players, and partners who keep you from drifting off into space
- Experienced: you have a Bachelors in Computer Science, as well as 3+ years managing large, fast-paced, and dynamic engineering teams
- Develop your team: you're the ultimate, accountable party for ensuring a highly-functioning engineering team; whether you manage people or lead technical vision, you'll be responsible for recruiting, training, and continually-improving high-performing Riot Engineers; you'll not only exemplify our cultural pillars, but also be adept at imparting them on others
- Thrive in ambiguity: we explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to players
- Support your development partners: you'll build and maintain strong relationships between Engineering and partner disciplines (Product, Art, Design, Publishing, Development Management, QA, etc.) to ensure teams are focused on delivering the right product for players
- Be accountable for execution: part of a highly-functioning team getting shit done; collaborating with cross-functional teams, you'll own moving fast and ensuring the right product ships to players
- Drive technical vision and direction: you're ultimately accountable for the technical quality of your product; you contribute to, and are responsible for, the overall architecture of the system, living by the mantra: "Know the code, be the code;" you'll have no problem contributing to feature implementations, bug-fixes, and refactorings
- Holistically own your technical products: our products reach tens-of-millions of players around the world, 24x7x365; the products your team delivers must ooze operational excellence (deployment automation, monitoring/alerting, documentation, etc) as Riot engineers are expected to own their services in our production environments
- Lead beyond your team: with a growing global community Engineering leaders focus their efforts on supporting their teams and contributing to the overall growth of the entire engineering organization; stewards of sharing key technology and best practices across all of engineering at Riot, leaders are experts at providing the vision that seeds discussions within our global communities-of-practice
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.