Head of Esports Iberia
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result into genre-defining games. Back in 2009, that vision gave birth to our debut title League of Legends, which achieved critical acclaim among players and became the most played PC game in the world. We are honored to serve over 100 million players worldwide every month.
To support our growth and nurture our relationship with our Spanish and Portuguese players, we are opening an office in Barcelona. To make that launch a reality, however, we need a handful of top-tier leaders to help us lay the groundwork, starting, basically… tomorrow!
This is where you come in!
As Head of Esports Iberia, you'll lead the largest community tournament program in the region and provide League of Legends players with competitive experiences of unprecedented awesomeness. Your strategic vision, entrepreneurialism, leadership and passion for esports will help you shatter players' expectations of what a community tournament can be, establishing new standards of greatness for ES & PT esports. You'll work together with top-level sponsors, players and teams, comb through community metrics, track trends, and iterate on our best practices to bring out the highest-caliber professional and amateur competition that connects with players in Spain and Portugal.
As a Rioter in Barcelona, you'll join a lean but dedicated team of Rioters committed to striving to be the most player-focused game company in the world. You'll share our prioritization of player experience, challenge convention and intense passion for gaming. You’ll collaborate with teams across the globe with the goal of bringing the best possible experiences to Spanish and Portuguese players.
We are looking for a humble, ambitious and broad-thinking esports leader who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor.
Just like us, you are passionate about games and take play seriously.
Experienced: you have at least 7 years of leadership experience in esports or sports. Ideally, you’ve worked in large-scale event production, design and execution of esports tournaments or regular online competitions well connected with large communities of gamers. You know the pro players and teams dynamics (pro players get extra kudos!) and have deep knowledge of League of Legends global competition ecosystem.
Player focused: you understand your impact on the player and viewer experience because you are a player too. You use that knowledge to improve the overall experience of all our esports events.
Strategic: you have a broad vision of the Spanish games and sports landscape. You can target the most relevant strategic avenues to bring our events and broadcasts to the right crowd, in the right fashion.
A leader by example: you build, lead, and inspire teams by walking the talk. You are self-aware, you can take feedback well, and you remain open to constructive criticism. You can recognize failure and learn from mistakes.
Talent driven: you know how to support Rioters in their career development, you hold frequent development discussions, set stretch goals. Ultimately, you love to see your team members succeed and grow in their careers.
A modern thinker: you stay up-to-date and ahead of the curve of event and esports initiatives carried out by other innovative media companies, whether in Iberia or abroad.
Agile and organized: roadblocks, constraints, dogmas, none of these scare you. Your energy is positive and focused on finding solutions to deliver your vision to all players. You show a clear “can-do” attitude and lead by that example.
A sports nut: you wear face paint on game day to support your team, and seek out every stat, factoid, and story about your favorite sport, whether it's virtual or IRL.
A strong communicator: you have excellent communication and presentation skills in English.
Educated: you studied or used agile project and team management (such as SCRUM, XP, etc.), lean processes (such as Kanban), and/or objective driven management (such as OKR).
- Build, grow, and run highly capable esports and events teams that deliver top-notch experiences to Spanish and Portuguese pro and hobby players, and their fans and viewers.
- Manage all levels of pro and semi-pro esports: overall strategy and design, large-scale events (on and offline) production and promotion, broadcasting setup and operation, sponsors deal-making and relationship, teams interface, marketing cost management, and content coordination through various media
- Developing an aspirational path and ecosystem for all ES & PT players. From grassroots to the very top, we want competitive players of all kinds to be able to level up and someday become our champions and later on the ambassadors of ES or PT during our LCS and World championships!
- Source and grow partnership and business development opportunities with premium brands for esports professional teams.
- Create focus within your teams: guide them in the priority-setting process, eliminate blockers, and facilitate execution.
- Establish clear directions and maintain an open dialogue within your teams and with other disciplines at our office in Barcelona and global offices.
- Define key performance indicators to set goals for and track the performance of our esports and events efforts and help your teams gain and maintain a data-informed perspective on their work.
- Foster our culture: it’s all about achieving the right goals to have a meaningful impact on the market, it’s not about a list of tasks to tick off.
- Inspire and support the career development of our esports Rioters.
- Provide support to other disciplines, such as publishing and marketing content creation.
- Help us keep striving on our promise to players on our aspiration; to become the most player focused game company in the world.
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.